Giants Top Washington, 24-17

Defensive end Justin Tuck recorded four second-half sacks as the New York Giants managed to overcome a 14-0 early game deficit to top the Washington Redskins 24-17 at FedEx Field.

New York, who entering the game was still mathematically alive in the playoff hunt, had hoped to show people that they were over the previous week’s heartbreaking loss to the Dallas Cowboys.

However, they looked anything but as the Giants allowed the Redskins to score on their opening possession, the first such time Washington accomplished that feat this season.

The Giants offense also couldn’t get much going as on its first two possessions, they went three-and-out, with Washington dominating the time of possession 11:22 to 3:38 in the quarter.

In the second quarter, after Washington managed to make it 14-0 on quarterback Robert Griffin III’s 19-yard touchdown pass to tight end Logan Paulsen, the Giants started to come alive, starting with getting their running game on track.

Peyton Hillis, in for the inactive Brandon Jacobs, ran for 25 yards on the Giant’s first drive of the second quarter, which set up a 23-yard touchdown run by Andre Brown to cut the Redskins’ lead in half.

Later in the quarter, it was the passing game’s turn to come alive as quarterback Eli Manning and the Giants evened things up when on their final drive of the half, Manning completed six out of six pass attempts for 74 yards, including a 22-yard touchdown to tight end Brandon Myers.

In the second half, Tuck and company took over, holding the Redskins to a field goal, which would be the last time in the game that Washington would hold the lead.

The Giants defense, which finished with five sacks and nine quarterback hits, also dominated the Redskins’ running game by posting seven tackles for a loss, and holding the dangerous Alfred Morris to just 26 yards on 11 carries.

New York took the lead for good in the fourth quarter on Brown’s one-yard touchdown run. That was later followed by Josh Brown’s 39-yard field goal, which extended the Giants’ lead to seven.

The Redskins tried to mount one last drive to tie the score, driving as far as their own 45-yard line. However, Griffin’s pass intended for receiver Pierre Garcon was ripped away by Giants safety Will Hill for the fumble recovery and the game.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *